[[chef-dev]] remote_file checksum behavior

  • From: Nate Mueller < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [[chef-dev]] remote_file checksum behavior
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:57:36 -0700

I'm working on a chef deployment and noticed that anything that subscribed to or was notified by a remote_file resource would still run if the file was unchanged.  It looks like do_remote_file does an initial comparison between the declared checksum for the new file and the actual checksum for the old file.  If you don't specify a checksum or the checksums mismatch it fetches the file, computes a checksum and uses that going forward.  If the real checksums match it won't create a backup file but it will still copy the new file over and set @updated.

Is that the desired behavior?  Seemed strange to me so I patched it locally but I'm new around here so I wanted to check before filing it.

    --Nate

  • [[chef-dev]] remote_file checksum behavior, Nate Mueller, 09/08/2009