[[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Use of require in chef

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Use of require in chef
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:23:55 -0700

While we're attempting to figure this stuff out once and for all, this is a good issue to bring up.

As rubygems will modify the executables on install, the only downside to banishing `require "rubygems"` everywhere is that you'd have to run, for example, `ruby -rubygems bin/chef-client` to run the code out of a git clone. This can easily be tucked away from view inside the rake tasks for running a development instance or integration tests, so the impact would be minimal.

So, I'll +1 on this; I doubt anyone has a compelling reason that they need to run a git clone of chef and can't` rake install` the gems, but if that's you, feel free to comment.

Dan Deleo

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Scott M. Likens < "> > wrote:
If you have my vote, I vote with Bryan McLellan here.

I would rather avoid the rubygems dependency completely if possible, I know it raises some hackles and makes people worried.  But I think most of us have seen how much fun rubygems can be, and some of us remember minigems fondly...