[[chef-dev]] Client key formats

  • From: Noah Kantrowitz < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [[chef-dev]] Client key formats
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 01:05:41 -0800

For reasons best summed up as "Why not?" I want to try an write a Chef API client in Python. Most of the protocol seems pretty simple, but something that should be formally defined is what format client keys are in. Ruby will accept both PEM and DER encodings, but I would think most people are storing in PEM. Is it okay to say that this is the "correct" format or am I better off supporting both? Beyond that would it be worthwhile to put together a formal spec for the "opscode authentication mechanism" for other implementers? Right now the best (only?) reference looks like the chef and mixlib code itself.

--Noah

  • [[chef-dev]] Client key formats, Noah Kantrowitz, 11/26/2010