[[chef-dev]] Chef 0.10.0 is Now in Beta

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To: , Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [[chef-dev]] Chef 0.10.0 is Now in Beta
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:23:35 -0700

# Chef 0.10.0 Beta is Released #

Hello Chefs,
I just pushed beta gems of Chef 0.10.0 to rubygems.org. For the impatient:

    # Client Upgrade:
    (sudo) gem install chef --pre

We do have a new external dependency for the server side, which we've already
packaged for Debian and Ubuntu. To upgrade your Chef server:

    # Server Upgrade for Ubuntu and Debian
    ## Install Gecode From Opscode ##
    echo "deb http://apt.opscode.com/ `lsb_release -cs` main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opscode.list
    wget -qO - http://apt.opscode.com/ | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libgecode-dev
    ## Install Updated Gems ##
    (sudo) gem install chef-server --pre

# Highlights #

## Environments ##
Chef 0.10 allows you to model your deployment environments by restricting
available cookbooks and with per-environment run lists on roles. As part of this
feature, Chef server also now respects version constraints in cookbook
metadata. We'll have more info about this feature in the release notes, but
until then you can check out the documentation here:
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Environments

## Knife Plugin Support ##
Thanks to Eric Hodel and Ryan Davis, we now have support for plugins in knife.
To create or use a custom knife command, you simply place the code in
~/.chef/plugins/knife/COMMAND.rb and knife will automatically load your plugin.
And when you've got something you want to share, you can distribute it as a Ruby
gem.

As part of this feature, we've moved knife's cloud subcommands to plugins. If
you're trying out Chef 0.10.0, and depend on any of knife's cloud support,
you'll need to install the relevant plugins:

* knife-ec2 https://github.com/opscode/knife-ec2
* knife-rackspace https://github.com/opscode/knife-rackspace/
* knife-bluebox https://github.com/opscode/knife-bluebox
* knife-terremark https://github.com/opscode/knife-terremark

These are currently available as gems, so you can get these via `gem install`

# Testing Chef 0.10 #
This is a beta release, so be sure to test extensively before you start using it
in a production role. As always, bug reports and experiences are very welcome.
File any bugs you find on http://tickets.opscode.com and feel free to ask
questions or share your thoughts on our IRC channel, irc.freenode.net#chef

## Compatibility ##
Chef 0.9 Clients should run correctly against an 0.10 server, and all known
incompatibilities have been fixed. If you have an issue running 0.9 clients
against a 0.10 server, please file a bug report.

## Opscode Platform Users ##
We have already deployed the first round of Chef 0.10-related improvements to
the Opscode Platform, so you're free to begin using Chef 0.10 with the platform.

Happy Cooking!

--
Dan DeLeo