[[chef-dev]] Search and environments

  • From: Noah Kantrowitz < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [[chef-dev]] Search and environments
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:45:09 -0700

As it stands currently search() in the recipe DSL has not been changed in any way related to environments. nDuff brought this up in IRC tonight as a source of possible confusion in the future. It would seem to be Least Surprising to make it so that the default behavior of search(:node) is to limit things to only the environment of the current node (or the current context in whatever sense is possible). An optional argument could be added to remove this implicit filter, but it seems like this is definitely going to be the exception. To further complicate all this is that data bags and roles (and I think envs themselves are indexed too) shouldn't do this. What do people think? I feel like this is definitely a special case, but the current behavior opens the door to too many newbie errors.

--Noah

  • [[chef-dev]] Search and environments, Noah Kantrowitz, 04/01/2011