[chef-dev] Re: Officially supported Opscode Homebrew provider

  • From: Joseph Holsten < >
  • To: Jamie Winsor < >
  • Cc: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Officially supported Opscode Homebrew provider
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 07:53:31 +0000

On a related note, is there a good way to branch on package provider? I'd like to maintain MacPorts support, even if I'm the only one using it.

--

On Apr 3, 2012, at 5:59, Jamie Winsor < "> > wrote:

There was talk before Chef 0.10 about adding a Homebrew package provider to Chef - it can be found in this ticket: http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-1250

It seems that the introduction of the chef-homebrew cookbook (found here: https://github.com/mathie/chef-homebrew) was deemed the solution and this ticket was marked 'fixed'.

Homebrew has grown in popularity quite a bit. I'd like to open the discussion back up again about potentially adding a Homebrew provider to Chef core. This doesn't need to be the default provider for package on OSX as CHEF-1250 suggests.

Alternatively, if a Homebrew provider in Chef core isn't what the community wants, maybe we should have an officially supported Homebrew LWRP in opscode-cookbooks. The chef-homebrew project on Github hasn't been updated in quite some time and has a number of pristine pull requests waiting to be merged in. Some of them are pretty old, like this one from Seth https://github.com/mathie/chef-homebrew/pull/2.

I will perform the work either way we choose.

Thoughts?

--
Jamie Winsor
@resetexistence