[chef-dev] Can encrypted data bag json file be decrypted?

  • From: Tahir Raza < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Can encrypted data bag json file be decrypted?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:59:58 -0500

I have an encrypted data bag json file that I'd like to check-in into GIT/SVN. Can I do "knife data bag from file BAG ALREADY-ENCRYPTED-FILE".

The intention is to avoid doing the manual process of encrypting the data-bag everytime chef-server is re-created but rather be able to use previously encrypted data-bags and just do "knife data bag from file ..." on all my data bags.
So far I havent found anything fruitful on the web. I have tried "knife data bag show passwords mysql -Fj >data_bags/passwords.json" from jtimberman's code blog but that hasn't worked.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I am using chef 10.2.

Thank you!
Tahir