[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Any plan for CHEF-2627 (Knife SSH should return exit code based on whether or not ssh command is successful or not)

  • From: Jamie Winsor < >
  • To: AJ Christensen < >
  • Cc: Maciej Pasternacki < >, Hui Hu < >,
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Any plan for CHEF-2627 (Knife SSH should return exit code based on whether or not ssh command is successful or not)
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 12:32:42 -0700

I don't see how this is a useless feature. Without writing any additional code to scrub the output of Knife SSH or reading it yourself, how do you know if 1 out of the 400 nodes you just sent a command to failed?

Command line tools should return with a status code which communicates to the user if their intentions were successful or not, and if possible, why (this is why we don't just have two exit codes - 0 or 1). As it is, Knife SSH fails silently when commanding multiple nodes.

A non zero exit code with an output of nodes that did not execute their commands successfully sounds like a very fair request and how I would expect Knife SSH to behave.

Hui Hu - it shouldn't be a terribly difficult task to get this done. You should sign the CLA and do the work if you want this ticket expedited.

--
Jamie Winsor
@resetexistence