[chef-dev] Re: Redhat packages, was: Chef 0.10.10 Released

  • From: Eric-Olivier Lamey < >
  • To: Bryan McLellan < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Redhat packages, was: Chef 0.10.10 Released
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 00:33:57 +0200

On Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 23:19 , Bryan McLellan wrote:

On May 12, 2012 4:54 AM, "Eric-Olivier Lamey" < "> > wrote:

> I know that the way forward is to use the Omnibus installer, but I would like to keep using my packages

As a side note, a few people have worked to maintain similar repositories over time, like the FrameOS RBEL and Aegis repos.

Exactly, but I started packaging chef (and other rubygems) before or around the same time those projects started and just kept doing it.
I also like to package the latest ruby version (1.9.3) which doesn't seem available in FrameOS.

There are a couple of folks working on upstream packages for Fedora as well, primarily Jonas Courteau.

Having official packages maintained for an RPM distro will be a great step for chef newcomers, and I hope Jonas plans on including them in EPEL as well. This might be hard, since the latest ruby packaging policy in Fedora is not compatible with current ruby packages in RHEL (and I am actually not sure I agree with the choices they made, especially regarding their rubygems patches).