[chef-dev] Re: Re: clients able to delete themselves / auto-scaling

  • From: Jon-Erik Schneiderhan < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: clients able to delete themselves / auto-scaling
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 14:19:43 -0400

Often times you can build it into your monitoring framework as well.  For example, we use Sensu at work and have a handler for keepalive failures that will call out to ec2 and if the instance has been terminated make the call out to the chef api to delete the node/client.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Bryan McLellan < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Michael Ivey < "> > wrote:
> We're running some tests with EC2 auto scaling. It's working great when the
> nodes come up, and we have them deleting their node in the chef server when
> they get scaled down, but we have lots of leftover clients, since a client
> can't delete itself.

There's some past discussion on this topic here:
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-1867

> How would folks feel about a patch to allow a client to delete itself even
> if it's not an admin?

I believe that permission would be okay.

Bryan