[chef-dev] Re: Fedora packages for Chef

  • From: Eric-Olivier Lamey < >
  • To: Bryan McLellan < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Fedora packages for Chef
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 21:11:25 +0200

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 18:38 , Bryan McLellan wrote:
Jonas Courteau has packaged up Chef and the dependencies for Fedora
and could use some reviewers and sponsors for the packages. Can you
help, or do you know someone who could?

Having officially supported packages for Fedora and RHEL (via EPEL) for chef-client would be awesome (I won't have to maintain mine anymore :)).
I hope Jonas can work on packages for chef-server as well.

After a quick glance at the spec files, I would say that the biggest problem will be dependencies. If a newer version of a gem required by chef-client becomes available in Fedora's repo, and that version conflicts with chef-client's dependencies, this will make stuff like "yum update" much more difficult.

Also, I see requirements like this in some SPEC files:
Requires: rubygem(mixlib-shellout) => 1.0.0
Requires: rubygem(mixlib-shellout) < 1.1.0
Have you tested that it works, and rpm honors both requirements? I never could make it work properly, at least with the rpm version in RHEL5.

Last thing: I think rubygem-yajl-ruby should be called rubygem-yajl, as per Fedora's guidelines.