[chef-dev] Chasing the stack (problem determining what is calling this function wrong)

  • From: Leif Madsen < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Chasing the stack (problem determining what is calling this function wrong)
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 22:56:59 -0400

Ohai!

In an attempt to try and do some debugging on an issue I'm having with minitest-chef-handler runs, I'm hoping I can get some good advice on getting a better handle on exception handling and looking at stack traces.

The issue I'm having is at https://github.com/calavera/minitest-chef-handler/issues/34 which gives a slightly more detailed account of the problem I'm having, but I'm hoping the techniques learned will be useful in other areas in the future.

The main issue is that the stacktrace I get when I do a chef run doesn't show me anything too interesting. It almost seems like something is buried in the run that I can't access, or isn't being raised as an exception except closer to the top of the stack.

In the file resource of Chef 10.14.4, something is calling 'diff' (https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/chef/lib/chef/resource/file.rb#L85) with 2 arguments, which causes the error -- ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (2 for 1)

I've tried adding some additional 'raise's to both minitest-chef-handler and chef, building new gems and testing, and also adding Chef::Log and such such, but I can't seem to track down what the issue is. When I attempt to add debugging output to minitest-chef-handler it seems to get clobbered or hidden from my own view.

So after I've puked verbosity over this email, I'm hoping maybe someone could give me some good pointers about adding logging data, or other methods for tracking down exactly where this issue is. I've looked at pry-rescue (https://github.com/ConradIrwin/pry-rescue) but haven't been able to modify Chef to work quite right.

I'd appreciate any help you can provide in showing me techniques for tracking down the issue. I'd prefer someone to not just give the answer, but rather provide information for how I might track down the issue. Once tracked, I suspect the fix will be relatively trivial.

Thanks!
Leif.

--
Leif Madsen
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk

  • [chef-dev] Chasing the stack (problem determining what is calling this function wrong), Leif Madsen, 10/03/2012