[chef-dev] Re: Fwd: Open source server upgrade from 0.10.6 to 10.16.2

  • From: Jeff Thompson < >
  • To: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Fwd: Open source server upgrade from 0.10.6 to 10.16.2
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:07:22 +1300

Hi Daniel,

That's the problem, there was nothing in the logs (although I'm not an expert in such things). I've ended up building a brand new server and I'm in the process of re-bootstrapping my nodes onto the new one. Since my email but before setting up a new server, I tried rerunning the chef-solo run of chef-server::rubygems-install (it's a CentOS server, as per http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Installing+Chef+Server+using+Chef+Solo). That's when things went really pear shaped and the chef-server won't even run. Only thing that shows up in /var/log/chef/server.log when I try to start it is:

merb : chef-server (api) : worker (port 4000) ~ Starting Thin at port 4000
merb : chef-server (api) : worker (port 4000) ~ Using Thin adapter on host 0.0.0.0 and port 4000.
merb : chef-server (api) : worker (port 4000) ~ Successfully bound to port 4000
merb : chef-server (api) : worker (port 4000) ~ Changing privileges to chef:chef

But if I immediately run /etc/init.d/chef-server status I get:

chef-server dead but pid file exists

Oh well, new server now, just mustn't let this one die...

Thanks,

Jeff