[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Exclude a recipe in whyrun mode

  • From: Kishore S Kumar < >
  • To: Peter Donald < >
  • Cc: chef-dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Exclude a recipe in whyrun mode
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:41:31 +0530

Adding not_if { #check for whyrun} on a recipe made doc formatter to skip it and hence the whyrun output is as desired.

@Peter: yes that would be really helpful if we had a way of blacklisting resources for why run mode

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Peter Donald < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Kishore S Kumar < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

There are few resources which no matter what, will always say that it would be updated, for example, if I had a huge runlist with one of it having a recipe that uses remote_directory and I run them in whyrun mode immediately after a normal client run, the whyrun output would say "1 resource would be updated".  However in my case I don't care about whether remote directory runs or not I only care about my recipes so I would expect an output that says 0 resources would have been updated. Hence the need to ignore them at whyrun.

I am not sure it is possible. It is also a pain point in the handlers aswell. In several of our handlers we allow the configuration of blacklisted resources [1] that we know will spuriously report changes or report changes we don't care about. It would be nice to have a universal way of blacklisting changes across handlers and why run if possible.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald