[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Exclude a recipe in whyrun mode

  • From: Andrea Campi < >
  • To: Peter Donald < >
  • Cc: chef-dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Exclude a recipe in whyrun mode
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 23:18:23 +0100

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Peter Donald < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
I am not sure it is possible. It is also a pain point in the handlers aswell. In several of our handlers we allow the configuration of blacklisted resources [1] that we know will spuriously report changes or report changes we don't care about. It would be nice to have a universal way of blacklisting changes across handlers and why run if possible.

We do the same, and it would be nice indeed.

However I have to say: that would require support in Chef itself, and it's not necessarily trivial to implement in a useful way.
There is an alternative: as a community we need to step up and get those cookbooks fixed.

Each of us can do their part according to the skill level: in many cases there isn't even a bug filed in Jira; just filing one when we noticed those kind of spurious resource updates, instead of just ignoring, doesn't take long and is a step in the right direction.
I am as guilty as anybody else :)