[chef-dev] Re: Re: Fwd: How do I know if my application has really been "provisioned"? a suggestion

  • From: Peter Donald < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Fwd: How do I know if my application has really been "provisioned"? a suggestion
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 06:53:52 +1100

Hi,

We use a couple of strategies to tackle this problem.

* Firstly we generate our init scripts to block until the service is "up" for some definition of up. Typically this means that the service is listening on all the correct ports on the correct interfaces.
* Secondly we use some outside-in test that will test the service as if it was a client and make sure we get the correct response. i.e. Ensure a HTTP service responds with correct status code when you hit particular URLs.
* Thirdly we monitor some local system to wait for some impact the service has on the machine (i.e. scan logs for keys, look for files created etc).

In most cases we use execute blocks or LWRPs to ensure the service is up which is why ...