[chef-dev] Re: replacing moneta with juno?

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To: "Julian C. Dunn" < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: replacing moneta with juno?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 17:30:58 -0800

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Julian C. Dunn wrote:

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Daniel DeLeo < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Julian C. Dunn wrote:

I am working on the project to package Chef for Fedora/EPEL.

I've gotten some good feedback from the Fedora folks. Specifically, they pointed out that Moneta is old and unmaintained, and that there's an API-compatible replacement, Juno. Is anyone working on porting to it? I see we have CHEF-2984 open about it.

- Julian
I just heard from the Juno maintainer that he's likely to be taking over moneta and merging his juno work back in. If we upgrade to the new version, we'll want to check for API changes. We also need to make sure that the hacks we have in place to fix corrupt file issues continue to work.

Alternatively, we could just mainline the small amount of functionality that we actually use. We originally decided to use moneta because chef-server's file distribution required the server to calculate checksums of the various files in the cookbooks and moneta would allow users with large installations to share the cache using memcache or whatever. File distribution has since been completely redesigned so the server doesn't need to checksum files itself, and then rewritten in erlang, so that use case has gone away.

Cool. I also got an email from Josef Stribny (sp?) that he's submitted a pull request to migrate to Juno:

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2984

So that could be a short-term fix that would let us proceed with the Fedora packaging.

- Julian
We've recently found some bugs with our cache implementation that caused us to investigate whether caching was providing any value and concluded that it does not. Therefore we'll be removing the checksum cache code that relies on moneta, eliminating the dependency on moneta entirely.

For more details, see this ticket: http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3715

--
Daniel DeLeo