[chef-dev] Re: To Chef 11 or not to Chef 11

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To: Erik Hollensbe < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: To Chef 11 or not to Chef 11
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 07:41:21 -0800

On Monday, February 11, 2013 at 3:37 AM, Erik Hollensbe wrote:

A discussion surrounding Chef 10 support has surfaced in the knife-server project. If you're not aware, knife-server is Fletcher Nichol's project to provide a knife plugin to build chef servers similar to how knife bootstrap works.

While the comment is against my fork, it's surrounding some patches that him, Dan Ryan and myself are working on that both add Chef 11 support and some other platform independence features.

The main thing to take away from this is that the chef-server bootstrap may or may not require chef 11 at some point in the near future.

I guess what concerns me is the official state of Chef 10 support in the wake of the Chef 11 release. I don't think anyone's claiming Seth's comments are official or even necessarily authoritative, but if this is to be relied on I think there are some concerns here that need to be addressed, namely, what the status of those relying on Chef 10 can expect.

To put this in context, as late as last April I was working with a team to get off of Chef 0.9, and that isn't a unique situation by any sense of the word. I don't think reasoning about the EOL of Chef 10, or even its supported nature, two weeks after Chef 11's GA release is something anyone should have to be doing.
For Chef 0.9, we initially planned support for 6 months but stretched that out to a year.

We'll make an announcement about Chef 10 lifecycle soon. Currently the plan is to support Chef 10 for a year, but this decision isn't final yet.

--
Daniel DeLeo