[chef-dev] Extracting Librarian-Chef from Librarian

  • From: Jay Feldblum < >
  • To: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Extracting Librarian-Chef from Librarian
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 19:35:23 -0500

Chef People,

This notice regards projects that have any sort of usage of, integration with, or documentation around Librarian.

I have extracted the Chef-related aspects of Librarian out into a separate project, named Librarian-Chef. The new gem is named librarian-chef, just like the binary file has always been named.

I have uploaded new prerelease versions of the new librarian and librarian-chef gems to Rubygems.org: librarian-v0.1.0.beta.1 and librarian-chef-v0.0.1.beta.1.

The reason for this change is that Librarian has always been 90% a generic core, unrelated to Chef. The Chef stuff in Librarian was a layer on top. This change allows the Librarian project to be used in other contexts unrelated to Chef, such as with Puppet modules instead of Chef cookbooks (https://github.com/rodjek/librarian-puppet), without also having a dependency on Chef and the gems that Chef depends on.

Cheers,
Jay

  • [chef-dev] Extracting Librarian-Chef from Librarian, Jay Feldblum, 03/09/2013