[chef-dev] Re: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Mixlib::Versioning 1.0.0 released

  • From: Jay Feldblum < >
  • To: Warren Bain < >
  • Cc: " " < >, Mike < >, Seth Chisamore < >, " " < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Mixlib::Versioning 1.0.0 released
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 20:52:35 -0400

Warren,

Currently, that would require re-resolving every node's run-list on every cookbook or role push. There are ways to optimize that process for the common case, but that would be the requirement. It would also require re-resolving the node's run-list on every node push (e.g. changing the normal attributes, tags, environment, run-list).

If environments were isolated tenants, cookbooks were per-environment, and chef-server permitted only one version of a cookbook at once per environment, then neither the chef-server nor the chef-client would need to do any dependency-resolutions at all that takes exponential worst-case time. Dependency-resolution that doesn't consider versions takes linear worst-case time because it's a graph walk, not a constraint problem. Dependencies with their versions would be resolved on the workstation and the resolved set could be synced to the server atomically and transactionally.

Cheers,
Jay