[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FreeBSD Omnibus Support

  • From: Scott Sanders < >
  • To: Dimitri Aivaliotis < >
  • Cc: Brandon Martin < >, " " < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FreeBSD Omnibus Support
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:09:36 -0400

Dimitri,

Excellent patch, I'm definitely borrowing that after we update our packaging server! We do something very similar to enable package management through portmaster. The monkey patches live in our freebsd cookbook's libraries directory so the core chef code doesn't need modification. I expect this is a common pattern given the variety of package managers for FreeBSD.

FWIW, we also have monkey patches as well that switch service commands over to using onestart, onestop, etc instead of start, stop so that commands don't fail before the service is enabled in rc.conf.

-Scott

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Dimitri Aivaliotis < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi Brandon,

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Brandon Martin < "> > wrote:

> If there is interest i can rebase the commits and verify the builds

There is interest.  I last attempted a build based on your
"freebsd-support" branches in January.  Three files needed to be
merged by hand and one removed.  So, the delta to January wasn't that
large.  Let me know if you'd like more details.

I haven't tried Scott's branches, yet.

To throw more fun into the mix, we've got a pkgng based setup, so
we'll need to be generating packages for that as well, including this
patch[1], until the author upstreams it.

- Dimitri

[1] https://gist.github.com/rottenbytes/3633306