[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FreeBSD Omnibus Support

  • From: Scott Sanders < >
  • To: Andrea Campi < >
  • Cc: Dimitri Aivaliotis < >, " " < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FreeBSD Omnibus Support
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 16:08:04 -0400

I'm not sure all of the myriad of FreeBSD packaging systems should be supported in core Chef. Adding support for pkgng is logical since it will be the new default. However, even though I use portmaster, I'd prefer to keep that code in a portmaster cookbook.

I'm in favor of improving FreeBSD support in the core resources rather than adding OS specific resources like in the freebsd cookbook. Not sure if thats what you meant or not.

I'll gladly work to incorporate some of the monkey-patches we use to run Chef on a FreeBSD infra, but until the unit tests can be run on this platform I don't see those patches being accepted.

Scott Sanders  |  Tech Operations  |  803.767.0060  |  @scott_sanders
taximagic : http://taximagic.com  |  sedanmagic : http://sedanmagic.com