[chef-dev] Re: ohai: ever needed to get memory info on mac os x?

  • From: Pat Collins < >
  • To: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: ohai: ever needed to get memory info on mac os x?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 10:00:08 -0400

Hi Opscode folks,

Is there a reason why this enhancement can't be merged into Ohai?

Cheers,
Pat

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Pat Collins < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
OK, pushed a new version that depends on sysctl and vm_stat, and included a unit test:

It implements: "total", "active", "inactive", "free". I wanted to keep the semantics the same as other platforms, so "active" includes both "wired" and "active" numbers that you see in Activity Monitor. This has the distinct advantage that:: active + inactive + free = total

(The term "wired" seems to apply only to Darwin memory management, and means memory that will almost always stay in memory and will not be transferred to disk. This definitely counts as active memory in my book, hence my choice to include it in "active".)

The ticket is here:

Thanks Graham, for your help in tracking down a faster way to implement. Also thanks Lamont for the vm_stat tip.

As always any comments, q's let me know.

Cheers,
Pat