[chef-dev] Re: Extending Chef Deploy for Object Storage Services

  • From: kindsol < >
  • To: Ranjib Dey < >
  • Cc: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Extending Chef Deploy for Object Storage Services
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 11:54:59 -0700

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that the 'ark' resource shares some similar features.  There are also some potential features in ark that would be nice to "borrow" for this proposed SCM provider.

Whereas, the main purpose for ark  is to do the "fetch-unpack-configure-build-install dance" for building/installing binaries, the purpose of this ObjectSCM provider is to fetch web application code in a way that we can leverage the all the migration, callback and rollback functionality offered by the existing Deploy Resource[1].

I have updated the overview and implementation sections in an attempt to be more clear about that. I have also renamed the proposed provider to "Chef::Provider::ScmObject". Please see:

Cheers!
- CaryP