[chef-dev] Re: How to install Chef without root access

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: How to install Chef without root access
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:54:51 -0700

One option for you is to treat it like a workstation and use rvm or rbenv to install your own version of ruby and install chef as a gem.

You can rebuild the whole omnibus bundle via the omnibus-chef project on github and you can try changing the install_path to something other than "/opt/chef", but you may also wind up needing to do something about the postinstall symlinks that try to install into /usr/bin and yum won't let you write to the rpm database when you install either, so you might wind up needing to just tar up the end result instead...

This is where the install_path is defined:

https://github.com/opscode/omnibus-chef/blob/master/config/projects/chef.rb

It will probably *not* work to just copy the files from /opt/chef over into a different directory... Although when this problem has come up in the past one simply solution was that all the files that should be in /opt/chef were copied to some other directory and then a symlink was put into /opt/chef pointing at the other location (the end result of truly idiotic IT politics because for some reason the symlink was fine, but software couldn't be installed into /opt or something would burst into flames...).