[chef-dev] Re: Fog and Knife

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To: Jesus Arteche Gonzalez < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Fog and Knife
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:02:22 -0700

On Monday, September 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Jesus Arteche Gonzalez wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out if it is needed to build a fog adaptor for a
public cloud provider that is not in the Chef list. Is there any document
that can show me what is the role of FOG here, maybe I just need to build
the code for Knife...

Could you guide me a little bit on this, I'm a little bit lost :(

Kind Regards / Un Saludo.

Jesus Arteche
Fog is a general ruby adapter for cloud APIs: https://github.com/fog/fog

It's not necessary to use it to make a knife plugin for your cloud. For example, at the time the knife plugin for GCE was written, there was no fog support for GCE, so it includes its own API adapter. https://github.com/opscode/knife-google

Compare this to, say, knife-ec2, which uses fog: https://github.com/opscode/knife-ec2

That said, adding support for your cloud to fog allows developers to use the cloud's API in any ruby program, which could have some business benefit to you.

--
Daniel DeLeo