[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: REVIEW: Ohai Cloud Plugin Improvements (OHAI-542)

  • From: Cary Penniman < >
  • To: "Scott M. Likens" < >
  • Cc: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: REVIEW: Ohai Cloud Plugin Improvements (OHAI-542)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 17:55:26 -0800

The cloud specific Mash structure (i.e. node['ec2']) can drastically vary from cloud to cloud.  Both ec2 and gce plugins follow their metadata tree structure -- which, IMHO, is a good thing.

The problem I see with cloning the structure from the cloud specific Mash to node['cloud'], is that the keys will differ depending on which cloud you are running.  For example, getting the ip address running on EC2 would be:

  node[:cloud][:public_ipv4]

whereas on GCE it would be something like:

  node['cloud']['network']['networkInterface'][0]['accessConfiguration'][0]['externalIp']

In this case, you would still need to add conditional logic like "if node.has_key?('ec2')", but now the recipe is harder to understand unless you know about the magic cloning that the cloud plugin does. Even if we wanted all the cloud plugins to produce the exact same Mash structure (or some subset), it would be difficult to enforce across all plugins when reviewing a simple Pull Request because the code would reside in multiple, seemingly unrelated files.

The cloud plugin today already creates a common Mash structure (or some subset) that is reviewable in a single file, but since it is an unstructured Hash it is very easy to miss subtle differences. The pull-request I have submitted uses a simple ruby object to help enforce the structure of the cloud Mash.  It does so by taking responsibility for writing the Mash itself.  By insuring a consistent interface, we should avoid the need to use of conditional logic like "if node.has_key?('ec2')" and the like.

Hopefully some of that makes sense.

Cheers!