[chef-dev] Re: stats_hero & estatsd with oschef

  • From: Dennis Lovely < >
  • To: Joseph Holsten < >
  • Cc: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: stats_hero & estatsd with oschef
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:31:01 -0700

Hi Joseph,

I'm currently using stats_hero -> estatsd -> graphite for my organization.  estatsd doesn't ship with chef-server, you'll have to deploy it yourself.  If you're familiar with deploying erlang apps with rebar, this should be a breeze.  I followed the steps on the estatsd github:

chef-server out of the box expects estatsd to be running on localhost at port 9466.  If this works for you, you should be able to spin up estatsd on that port, and if you configured where your graphite instance is located, you should begin seeing metrics flowing in without reconfiguring or restarting chef-server.  If these assumptions aren't what you're looking for, you can modify your chef-server.rb to change these values, then run chef-server-ctl reconfigure to pick these changes up. These values default to:

I've only tried using the suggested estatsd, I have not used any other statsd implementation, so can't comment on those results.

HTH.

-Dennis