[chef-dev] Re: Re: Knife-vsphere vs powetCLI

  • From: Brian Flad < >
  • To: Ian Delahorne < >
  • Cc: Anna Redding < >, ,
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Knife-vsphere vs powetCLI
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:57:13 -0400

Also to note: I wrote and used the code in a ESX 5.0 environment that heavily utilizes dashes in hostnames (some very long) without issue. Hopefully not a VMware version-specific issue of sorts. Unfortunately, I don't have an environment to debug/support the code myself any longer.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Ian Delahorne < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
> 1). When cloning a VM using knife-vsphere , I cannot use a '-' as part of the VM name. This works with no problem using powerCLI.
>
> Note:   I had to invoke a 'bandaid' to get past this with knife-vsphere. Bandaid was to remove '-' from the vm hostname at the vsphere level. This bandaid is not 'desired' but is easily reverted with the manual effort,  post-buildout, of going through and adding the '-' back to the hostname through the vcenter interface.
> Note2:  It's worth mentioning that the process of bootstrapping the vm and running cookbooks/recipes with VM names that contain '-' works just fine.

FWIW I have never had this issue in my environment with knife-vsphere
when cloning templates and VMs. In fact 90% of our VM names contain a
'-'.

//ian