[chef-dev] Fwd: override attributes

  • From: robert towne < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Fwd: override attributes
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:24:27 -0700

I have a cookbook x and role x.
I set default attribute values in the attributes file.
I override them in the environment file under that cookbook x name.

I now have a variation of that cookbook I want to support, so I create role y, and add x to the runlist.
Now I want to override attributes of x's environment values via an environment section y.

environment file:
        "x": {
            "some_attribute": true,
        "y": {
"override": {
"x": {
"some_attribute": false,

but after I deploy, even though the node is under role y, some_attribute is still true.

is there a way to override via the environment file x from y's override attributes?

thanks!
robert

  • [chef-dev] Fwd: override attributes, robert towne, 04/16/2014