[chef-dev] Guidance on Ohai Plugin Test

  • From: David Petzel < >
  • To: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Guidance on Ohai Plugin Test
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 15:30:01 -0400

Hey Folks,
I have a cookbook which contains an Ohai plugin. In a nutshell the plugin leverages some Ohai attributes related to networking to make some decisions about its locations in our environment. From those decisions it populates some additional attributes. (pretty simple).

The plugin works, however I need to make some adjustments so I am attempting to back fill some testing before I get started. I'm a little stumped on how to do this, and I can find any test examples outside of the Ohai project itself.

I was hoping to leverage Chefspec to do the testing, however I can't figure out how to tell Chefspec to "go run this ohai plugin". I had thought I could just add the plugin call somehow in my before block, but I can't seem to figure out the right syntax.

Does anyone have an example, or guidance on how I can/should add these types of tests?