[chef-dev] Proposal: "Good first contrib" tag on github issues

  • From: Eric Helgeson < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Proposal: "Good first contrib" tag on github issues
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 07:40:12 -0500

Ohai Chefs,

I saw an interesting idea on the Ratpack[0] Github issue tracker. They have a Tag for "Good First Contribution" for newbies to find an issue and contribute a patch back. It can be daunting looking through 100's of issues trying to find one that is simple to start and not a rabbit hole. Also the tag could also mean the person reporting it or who tagged it could help guide the person through the issue.

Also this is helpful when running a Chef Hackathon or Hacker Garden[1] to help new people contribute back in a short amount of time.

I participated in the Hacker Garden at GR8Conf, was a lot of fun to contribute a feature back in ~3 hours to Ratpack.

Thanks,
-Eric Helgeson

 - Different than a hackathon, not competing to win but tending the garden of our software community (bugs/docs/features/etc).