[chef-dev] Re: Re: F5 BIG-IP

  • From: "scott.russell" < >
  • To: Marc Chisinevski < >, Matt Ray < >
  • Cc: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: F5 BIG-IP
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 10:11:44 +0100

Folks,
             This is awesome news.  We had a use case where we used the ruby icontrol gem  to find the front end ip address,  which then allows you to query the pool,  obtain the pool members,  then once you have that you can use the node host names to go into the chef db,  and retrieve,  things like jdbc connection strings ( custom ohai  plug in to retrieve these from tomcat,  Web logic,  joss,  glassfish ).  This then allows you to extract the host name of the db server.    Now you have all the things to draw a near real time network map.   This can then be passed to any diagramming package.   Cannot think of a better use case.   This is invaluable to the ops team.

      Great work guys,  I will go check out the chef integration.

        You guys rock.

               Sc0tt...
Sent from ....