[chef-dev] Chef Server Support Policy?

  • From: Mike < >
  • To: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Chef Server Support Policy?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 10:08:28 -0500

Ohai, turkeys! (Thanksgiving joke, I kid, I kid)

With the awesome announcement of Chef 12 being released, I was looking for some verbiage around Chef Server 11 continued support policy, and was unable to see anything along those lines.

RFC015 [1] does a great job at scoping out how chef-client versions will be supported (Latest , Latest -1, backports, etc). It doesn't address release cycles yet, I'm sure that will come.

However, it does not address the server-side components, nor does RFC030 [2] show any maintainers yet for Server component, nor Client components yet.

I understand these are relatively new RFCs, but I do understand that there's significant effort in play by representatives at Chef Inc that, for lack of a better term, 'control' the lifecycle of Chef Server - development and commit rights, release cycles et al.

It would be somewhat foolhardy for someone who does not have the background, experience or resources to propose a particular maintenance cycle for elements that are not in any way part of the Things I Do every day, so I propose:

- current maintainers of Chef Server be added to RFC030, so we know who to talk to
- current thoughts/existing procedures on Chef Server maintenance be written down, so we can then openly discuss how to improve these as an RFC Proposal.

I'm totally open to discussing this further - so feel free to toss in your ideas, desires and dreams.

Best,
-Mike Fiedler, Community Individual