[chef-dev] nginx cookbook future

  • From: Mike < >
  • To: " " < >, Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] nginx cookbook future
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:15:51 -0400

Ohai Chefs!

As some may know, the nginx cookbook has grown pretty unwieldy to maintain in the current state of affairs.

Most of the code is untested, and incorporating change safely is Not Easy.

I met with Sean Omeara and Jamie Windsor - both previous maintainers of the codebase - and we discussed the various options at this juncture.

We decided that the current interface of using attributes to drive behavior is pretty overloaded, and that this code needs a significant rewrite.

We're starting from scratch with the intention of releasing a 3.0.0 version that provides resource primitives to install nginx, control an nginx service, and control nginx configuration files.

So:

I'm going to be merging and closing out as many issues and pull requests on the current 2.7.x branch as possible and release a 2.7.5 version.

I'll test as best as I can for the most common use cases, but I won't be able to "catch them all". Caveat emptor.

Once this is cut, I don't expect to continue to merge anything to the 2.7.x code (a branch will continue to live on in the repo).

Thanks for your continued support, and here's to hoping we can build more amazing things!

-M

P.S. I try to hang out inĀ https://gitter.im/miketheman/nginx when working on the code, and check in now and then if you have more real-time discussion for nginx cookbook development.