[chef-dev] Re: Re: An ask for Test Kitchen 1.4.0 and Kitchen::Vagrant 0.17.0 pre-releases

  • From: Matt Wrock < >
  • To: Torben Knerr < >, Fletcher Nichol < >, " " < >, Chef Developers < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: An ask for Test Kitchen 1.4.0 and Kitchen::Vagrant 0.17.0 pre-releases
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 08:25:20 +0000

For an example, I just posted an example of using the beta gems to create and test an ActiveDirectory controller pair. The cookbook and tests can be hosted on windows, mac or Linux via virtualbox or Hyper-V.

Awesome stuff!

My (quite basic) kitchen tests with kitchen-vagrant and the
vagrant-lxc provider are still running fine. Thanks for releasing this
with kitchen-vagrant 0.16.0 earlier this week!

“oooo, ahhhh” Windows?!

Indeed very useful (I might need to set up some windows boxes in the
near futur...)

So far I found the boxcutter/windows [0] boxes superb. Mischa Taylor
has done a great job with boxcutter. Not sure though whether they have
winrm enabled or not...

Btw: are there any real life test-kitchen / windows examples out there already?

Cheers,
Torben

[0] Github: https://github.com/boxcutter/windows

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Fletcher Nichol < > wrote:
> Howdy y’alls!
>
> —BEGIN tl;dr—
>
> Guess what? We have a couple of pre-release gems cut today for Test Kitchen, specifically:
>
> * test-kitchen 1.4.0.beta.2 (beta.1 cut yesterday)
> * kitchen-vagrant 0.17.beta.2 (beta.1 cut yesterday)
>
> Here’s my ask for anyone with time/interest/ability in the next day or 2:
>
> Where ever you use Test Kitchen, give this pair of releases a try. If you don’t care about the Vagrant Driver, then just use the Test Kitchen pre-release. Use it exactly as you would any previous stable release, don’t change anything.
>
> —END tl;dr—
>

> It’s extremely important that this release doesn’t break existing projects, Drivers, and/or Provisioners in the wild. If you find issues, please let myself or Tyler Ball know and file an issue if you can. Linking to a reproducible project and `kitchen diagnose —all` output (scrubbed for credentials first) is such a big help, you have no idea.
>
> ## Installing
>
> If you have a Ruby workflow with RubyGems and/or Bundler this won’t be too much work:
>
> Gem install with:
>
> gem install test-kitchen —pre
> gem install kitchen-vagrant —pre
>

> Gemfile containing:
>
> gem “test-kitchen”, “~> 1.4.0.beta.2”
> gem “kitchen-vagrant”, “~> 0.17.0.beta.2”
>

> If you’re using ChefDK, you might want to give this a spin to update test-kitchen (whipped up last night in a frenzy):
>
> https://github.com/fnichol/chefdk-update-app/
>
> To update the kitchen-vagrant gem, simply:
>
> chef gem install kitchen-vagrant --pre --minimal-deps
>
> ## Windows!
>
> Note that this release has the much-fabled “Windows guest support” (insert “oooo, ahhhh” here). How do you get started? At the moment getting Vagrant base box images of Windows is still a big pain, but if you have access to one, here are the versions that should “just work”:
>
> - Windows Server 2012r2
> - Windows Server 2012r2 Core (you will need .NET 4.5 installed however)
> - Windows Server 2012 (your system/image must have the KB2842230 hotfix applied (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2842230))
> - Windows Server 2008r2
> - Windows 8.1 Pro,Enterprise,etc.
> - Windows 8 Pro,Enterprise,etc. (your system/image must have the KB2842230 hotfix applied (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2842230))
> - Windows 7
>
> ### Windows with Kitchen::Vagrant
>
> Any Vagrant base box should have `vm.communicator = “winrm”` and `vm.guest = “windows”` set by default, otherwise `vagrant up` will not be able to correctly boot the VM. Note that there are some Windows base boxes out there with `vm.communicator = “ssh”` set, so plan accordingly.
>
> Assuming you have a Vagrant base box called “windows-2012r2”, you can use a .kitchen.yml similar to:
>
> —
> driver:
> name: vagrant

> [...]

  • [chef-dev] Re: Re: An ask for Test Kitchen 1.4.0 and Kitchen::Vagrant 0.17.0 pre-releases, Matt Wrock, 03/29/2015