[chef-dev] knife-windows 1.0.0.rc.0

  • From: Bryan McLellan < >
  • To: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] knife-windows 1.0.0.rc.0
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 20:20:27 -0400

After far too long, we've cut the release candidate for knife-windows 1.0.0. We could really use some help testing it. We'd like to get this out soon and start releasing incremental updates thereafter.

We're going to have a ChefDK Release Candidate soon that will include this, but in the interim you can install it into ChefDK 0.6.0 by running "chef gem install knife-windows --pre"

This release simplifies winrm authentication significantly. It will default to using negotiate authentication, which only works from Windows workstations. You still need to either enable ssl or use basic authentication with AllowUnencrypted set to True when bootstrapping from non-Windows workstations. You can now specify the winrm authentication protocol with the --winrm-authentication-protocol option, whereas we had a complicated mechanism based on the username in knife-windows 0.8.

Here's a short list of some of the new features:
* Simplified setting up a WinRM SSL endpoint with new sub-commands knife windows cert generate, knife windows cert install, and knife windows listener create.
* Help diagnosing winrm endpoint issues with new knife wsman test subcommand.
* Support for validatorless bootstrapping
* Install Chef Client as a Service on bootstrap
* Specify an alternate (internal) MSI URL to use on bootstrap
* Allow creation of Ohai hints on bootstrap

For a full list of changes, see these files:

  • [chef-dev] knife-windows 1.0.0.rc.0, Bryan McLellan, 06/03/2015