[chef-dev] Chef Provisioning AWS 1.5.0 released

  • From: Tyler Ball < >
  • To: Chef Developers < >,
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Chef Provisioning AWS 1.5.0 released
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 17:31:45 -0600

Greetings!

I just released Chef Provisioning AWS 1.5.0.  The CHANGELOG shows the list of closed bugs/PRs but I wanted to highlight some new features:

* Added support for Route53 hosted zones and resource record sets.  Because record sets belong to a hosted zone we introduced a new syntax where the record set resources and included inside the hosted zone resource.  Look at the documentation, try it out and let us know what you think.  We decided to model the record sets as resources rather than simply embed them as hashes (like security groups or route tables) because they complicated enough to warrant the validation that a resource provides.
* Added support for IAM roles and instance profiles.  We do not have support for stand-alone IAM policies, but the aws_iam_role resource does support inline policies.  See the example or resource documentation for information.
* Wait timers are now configurable!  If your instances are taking more than 120 seconds to allocate, or machine images are taking more than 300 seconds to create you can now configure these wait timeouts.
* Lots of testing enhancements.  We now run integration tests in Travis CI!  Unfortunately, we used travis secrets to setup the credentials.  These secrets are not decrypted on non-Chef org branches, so Travis tests will always fail for open source PRs.  We’ll work on that in the future.

Please try it out and let us know of any issues!

Cheers,
-Tyler

  • [chef-dev] Chef Provisioning AWS 1.5.0 released, Tyler Ball, 10/08/2015