Re: some questions

  • From: snacktime <snacktime@gmail.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: some questions
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:25:45 -0700

Ah misconfigured server on my end.  No cookbooks_path.

Chris

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:02 AM, AJ Christensen <aj@junglist.gen.nz> wrote:
Chef client will cache all cookbooks available from the Chef server each time.

Templates and Files are lazy loaded.

Regards,

AJ

On 17/04/2009, at 7:18 PM, snacktime wrote:

- I noticed the client looks for cookbooks in /var/chef, which is what I have the cookbooks path set to on the server.  Is it getting this value from the server, or is that a default value?

- It seems that the client must have all the cookbooks locally, it can't add new cookbooks from the server that it doesn't have.  Is that right?  Seems like that would be a desirable feature, although I can see how calculating all the dependencies could be a pain.  Or maybe an alternative could be the client can set a list of cookbooks in the attributes somewhere, and then download whatever cookbooks are not present at each run?  So then say you want to push out a new recipe to a bunch of clients you just update their attributes on the server and you are done.

Chris