Re: rails app deployment

  • From: Ian Kallen <spidaman.list@gmail.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: rails app deployment
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:17:57 -0700

Oh, sweet, that's pretty much what I was imagining. Do you have plans to support "push" deployment (roll an app tarball, dist out to servers and shimmy the symlinks) ? Also (rails newbness alert) - are there race conditions with db migrates when you have a cluster of machines updating in parallel that risk fubaring the schema? I can imagine without a global lock asserted by the first cluster member to start a migration, you could get cluster members stepping on each other trying to execute migrations in parallel.
thanks!
-Ian

Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

I've written chef deploy resources that handle this. The only thing not implemented yet is rollback but that will be done soon.

http://github.com/ezmobius/chef-deploy/tree

Cheers-
-Ezra