Re: Multiple chef-server instances on one server

  • From: Miguel Cabeça <cabeca@ist.utl.pt>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: Multiple chef-server instances on one server
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:04:19 +0100

Hi,

You should be able to set two different server.rb files up with
different internal paths (for things like cookbooks, etc.)

Use a web server with virtual hosts and proxy support (Apache or
Nginx) to proxy between your two different chef instances, and give
the clients the name of the virtual host. (http://chef.test.cabeca.com
and http://chef.prod.cabeca.com)

That's the easy part (the part that I understand :-)

I was talking about the chef internalls. Without changes, both instances would use the same DB on couch and the same message queue (?) and the same index (?) That would not be a good thing.

My question was more in the sense of what needs to be done to specify different sets of components for different chef instances.

Does this make sense?

Best regards

Miguel Cabeça