Re: some questions

  • From: Arjuna Christensen <aj@junglist.gen.nz>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: some questions
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:21:49 +1200

'lo!

On 23/04/2009, at 7:45 PM, David Lee wrote:

Adam Jacob wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM, David Lee <david.lee@kanji.com.au> wrote:
As a side note, there's no ORM for chef is there? IE, rather than being able
to use something like ActiveRecord, the complexity Miguel is flagging must
be dealt with directly via ferret searches(?)
I'm not sure I understand how the search indexes help solve Miguel's problem?

I was just curious about how difficult the implementation is likely to be. An ActiveRecord, with polymorphic joins etc, would likely require less work than one using native database interaction.

Less work than simple RESTful requests?

But I gather it would have to be built directly on top of couch; I have little sense of the difficulty involved at this point, and I'm curious.

We've already built a layer on top of couch, chef::couchdb - I too am not sure what you're getting at here?

I have done a little work replacing chef::rest and chef::couchdb with Heroku's Rest Client[1] and jchris' CouchRest[2], and the CouchRest extended document class is quite ORMy, creates a few default views (Obj.all, ..) and has the validation system from DataMapper ported across to it.

I believe Adam was working on an Opscode wrapper[3] for Rest Client that would give it some capabilities we require for communications wit the chef-server.

Regards,

AJ

[1] http://tr.im/juz5
[2] http://tr.im/juzh