Re: attribute value availability + the implicit dependency graph and chef-deploy patch

  • From: Ian Kallen <spidaman.list@gmail.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: attribute value availability + the implicit dependency graph and chef-deploy patch
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:51:32 -0700

Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
This part of the patch is not valid. The general idea is just like a capistrano deplopy, you keep the database.yml file in <deployto>/shared/config/database.yml on the server and then the deploy symlinks it in , this is so you do not keep database credentails in your source control.

So you will need to have another part of your chef recipe place the database.yml file in the right place *before* you run the deploy resource and it will work fine.

- run "ln -nfs #{shared_path}/config/database.yml #{latest_release}/config/
+ run "ln -nfs #{shared_path}/cached-copy/config/database.yml #{latest_rele

Ah, this is where my newbness to ruby+rails (+cap) is biting me. I quit my job last month, until then only looked at ruby in passing; have since started reading pick axe and online stuffs more vigorously. Probably TMI. Anyway.

OK, in that context what chef-deploy was doing with the paths and symlinks makes sense. I'll re-cobble this setup around that.
thanks!
-Ian

--
Ian Kallen