Re: Please test Chef!

  • From: Joshua Timberman <joshua@opscode.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: Please test Chef!
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:53:49 -0600

On Apr 26, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Adam Jacob wrote:

We let the 0.6.0 release get a little long in the tooth, but it's
nearly ready to roll.  We've got the new Web UI work, lots of bug
fixes, and some performance patches.  Everything should be pretty
smooth, but I would love to get a few "yep, nothing is totally hoarked
for me" replies.  Mind testing out chef from opscode/master, and
letting me know if things are working well for you?

With my existing test environment using Chef 0.5.7, I had to do a little extra work to get chef-server to jive with our latest passenger- ified chef-server.

I reran the chef-solo bootstrap with the tarball on S3, because the installation wipes out the config.ru, init.rb, etc from the chef cookbook. This should be expected on 0.6.0 release as well, as the directory won't exist. It's probably a good idea to use the config.ru, init.rb and production.rb from the bootstrap recipe since thats the primary 'default' configuration from following the Chef Wiki's Installation page.

I also had to restart Apache2 after running the chef-solo with the bootstrap recipes for it to properly pick up the changes.

When writing the doc for converting chef-server via runit to passenger[1], I did test 0.5.6 to 0.5.7-as-of-Friday, and the process was quite straightforward actually, considering the complete deployment change, as well as the broad changes that 0.6.0 brings.

Also, on a fresh new system, I had to run 'rake install' via sudo to get it to create /var/chef, due to Merb.load_dependencies on line 30 of the chef-server Rakefile. I can open a bug.

To wit, I did install 0.5.7 on a fresh Ubuntu 9.04 VM using the "installing from HEAD" instructions as posted on the wiki and everything worked as documented.

[1]
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/How+to+Convert+chef-server+from+runit+to+Passenger

--
Joshua Timberman | www.opscode.com