Re: Typical use of chef

  • From: Joshua Timberman <joshua@opscode.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: Typical use of chef
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:49:37 -0600

On Apr 28, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Miguel Cabeça wrote:

Am I alone in using chef as a configuration tool for any type of server (mail, ldap, kerberos, gateway, router) or workstation in an academic scenario?

I hope you're not alone! As Bryan said, configuration management is important for the whole environment, not just web servers/services.

This is one reason we have non-web-specific cookbooks in the opscode/ cookbooks repository. We understand that people may want to run DNS servers (djbdns, maradns), central authentication (openldap), mail servers and relays (postfix), HA clusters (heartbeat, drbd), centralized logging (rsyslog), internal ticketing systems (jira, redmine), VPN (openvpn) and yes, even voice communications (teamspeak :-D).

Except perhaps the latter, these are all common infrastructure services, and we provided the cookbooks as a baseline for people to modify for their own environments. Not necessarily just Ruby on Rails environments.

--
Joshua Timberman | www.opscode.com
joshua@opscode.com | 720.878.4322