[chef] Re: non interactive apt-get install

  • From: Arjuna Christensen <aj@opscode.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: [chef] Re: non interactive apt-get install
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 01:09:25 -0700

On 2/07/2009, at 12:30 AM, snacktime wrote:

Not chef specific, but this is an issue that breaks a number of cookbooks, such as mysql.

Is there a generic mechanism you can use to force apt-get install to NEVER prompt for input?  I'm guessing not, as different packages have their own requirements.  I tried setting DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive but it didn't seem to have any effect.

The Debian package provider already sets DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive =)

Unfortunately MySQL on 8.04.x forces you to enter a MySQL password while installing regardless of this, however; you can preseed it. I'm not aware of any of the other cookbooks that are affected by this, but please open up tickets on the Cookbooks project if you find problems with our community cookbooks :)

Chris

--
AJ Christensen, Software Engineer
Opscode, Inc.