[chef] Re: Re: Install local gems with chef

  • From: John Timms <john@gnoso.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Install local gems with chef
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:20:54 -0400

Yes- that was my thinking as well- use the execute resources, but that would loose the feature that keeps gems from being re-installed if they are already installed. I imagine that this could be overcome with a bit of "creates..." usage though.

John Timms

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Adam Jacob <adam@opscode.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:31 AM, <john@gnoso.com> wrote:
> I've done some looking through the docs and the archive of this mail list, but
> I'm not seeing anything related to installing gems from a local source using
> Chef. The gem command supports a "--local" option which signals it to only use
> gems that it finds in the current working directory. I've tried using the
> options attribute with the package resource while using the gem_package
> provider, but looking at the debug output (when I run chef-solo) I see
> something like the following: "DEBUG: ---- Begin output of gem install
> imagesize -q --no-rdoc --no-ri -v 0.1.1 ----" which does not seem to indicate
> that the gem_package provider even recognizes the options atribute. Is this
> correct? Will this be added/fixed? Thanks.

We should add local support the Gem provider - it shouldn't be super
hard (but will require a bit of refactoring of load_current_resource
in that provider).

In the meantime, it should be easy to whip up a definition that uses
execute resources to do this for you.

Adam

--
Opscode, Inc.