[chef] Re: Problem starting chef-client in Getting Started with EC2 Rails Infrastructure

  • From: Joshua Timberman <joshua@opscode.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Problem starting chef-client in Getting Started with EC2 Rails Infrastructure
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:14:57 -0600

On Jul 14, 2009, at 2:31 AM, Robert J Berger wrote:

I think I followed all the instructions between Getting Started with EC2 Rails Infrastructure and Chef 0.7.0 on EC2 Rails Infrastructure Notes

Note that the 0.7.0 version is 'old' - we're ramping up to release 0.7.6 soon, and that particular AMI is a work in progress.

It wasn't clear that if I was using the roles stuff if I still need to edit config/ops_master.json or leave it as:
{
  "run_list": [ "role[base]", "role[ops_master]" ]
}

In the 0.6.2 "version" of the AMI, we use site-cookbooks to tell chef about base and ops_master, but 0.7.x will use the new roles feature.

Also its not really clear how to set up the user associated with $ldap_user. Do you need to create the home dir manually before doing the .ssh stuff? If so where does the userid of the chown come from? From ldap? If so its not working for me maybe because I didn't get the chef-client to run properly?

The "$ldap_user" is the one you created by editing the openldap.ldif file and adding to the LDAP server, on the ops_master. Once clients run Chef the first time, they'll be configured to connect to the LDAP server and the user will be there, though the home directory and SSH keys won't. We leave this as an open task so you can build upon the site-cookbooks by adding user home directories and ssh keys, though that is still undocumented.

--
Opscode, Inc
Joshua Timberman, Senior Solutions Engineer