[chef] Re: couchdb question

  • From: Arjuna Christensen < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: couchdb question
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:09:57 +1200

Hi,

On 5/08/2009, at 7:10 AM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

Why was couchdb chosen as the data store for chef-server?

I believe one of the main reasons for choosing CouchDB was the ability to store a no-schema set of JSON objects while still providing flexibility with the JS map/reduce engine.

As I'm sure you're aware, "Node Data" / "Attributes" are just Hashes, Arrays, Strings (etc), which are #to_json'd into the Couch Database. Shoehorning this ultimately flexible "document" into a RDBMS would likely reduce (no pun intended) the functionality currently available.

As for "why was couchdb chosen".. we'll have to wait for the benevolent dictator to chime in :)

--
AJ Christensen, Software Engineer