[chef] Re: Re: New user feedback and questions

  • From: Joe Van Dyk < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: New user feedback and questions
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:05:39 -0700

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Adam Jacob < "> > wrote:
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Brian Candler< "> > wrote:
> (3) In the environment where I work, the most likely need for chef is in
> distributing config files [*].
>
> So I'm looking as to ways we can make this as safe and simple as possible
> for the sysadmins to use.
>
> Have you any pointers to best practices on *testing* new recipes? I don't
> really want to set up a whole dev/test environment just for developing and
> testing each recipe change - it would be too cumbersome. But equally I don't
> want invalid recipes being pushed out, or worse, ones which destroy data.

Testing recipes without taking the actions described is basically an
impossible task to get 100% correct.  You can do dry runs, but any
time you check the run-time state of the system and that state could
have been modified previously in the run, you're going to get a false
positive.

We've been working on ways to let you write real integration tests,
which would go a long way towards allowing you to do real testing in a
VM.  As it stands, the best practice is to have a staging environment
that gets your new changes first, and only prop changes to production
when you are comfortable.

vmware has been really helpful to me here.

Joe